Last Updated on July 4, 2023 by Fumipets
A Heart-Wrenching Ordeal: Queensland Puppy’s Narrow Escape from Suspected Baiting
The Unforeseen Crisis
A happy, normal day took a distressing turn for a Queensland family when their adored pet puppy, Woody, fell critically ill due to suspected baiting. The four-month-old pup, an integral part of the family from Australia’s Sunshine Coast, was discovered to have ingested a concerning amount of rat poison.
A Battle Against Time
Woody’s condition deteriorated rapidly, pushing his owner, Graeme Murray, to rush him to the veterinary hospital. The prompt action potentially saved Woody’s life. In a conversation with 7NEWS, Murray expressed, “(The vet said) if we were 20 minutes later, we would have lost him.”
This chilling statement echoes the gravity of the situation, emphasizing the importance of immediate veterinary care in suspected pet poisoning cases.
A Suspected Case of Baiting
The unfortunate incident left the family suspecting an act of baiting within their own backyard. The alarming results from Woody’s tests showed that he had swallowed a large quantity of rat poison, fueling the family’s suspicions.
This unfortunate incident isn’t just a story of an ill-fated pet; it underscores a broader issue of pet safety and raises questions about potential pet baiting instances.
The High Cost of Recovery
While Woody is fortunately expected to make a full recovery, the incident has resulted in significant expenses for the family. The veterinary bills totaled $4000, a hefty price for an unexpected pet health emergency. Murray described the ordeal as one that “ruined a family’s life for 48 hours”.
This incident is a stark reminder for pet owners to be vigilant about their pets’ safety, especially in their own outdoor spaces, as it appears the threat might be closer to home than many realize.
Original article sourced from 7News.