Last Updated on June 28, 2023 by Fumipets
Free Pet Microchipping in Albuquerque: Your Guide to Keeping Pets Safe this Fourth of July
The city of Albuquerque, known for its vibrant pet-friendly environment, is once again taking proactive measures to ensure the safety of pets during the Fourth of July celebrations. This year, the city is offering free microchipping services for cats and dogs up until July 3rd, an initiative aimed at giving pet owners peace of mind during this festive but potentially stressful time for our four-legged companions.
The Importance of Microchipping
Microchipping, a simple procedure that can make a significant difference in the event your pet goes missing, is being offered at the city’s Animal Welfare Department locations on both the Eastside and Westside, with no appointment necessary. Pet owners just need to be over 18 years old and present a valid ID for pet registration.
Microchipping Locations and Timings:
- Eastside: 8920 Lomas NE
- Westside: 11800 Sunset Gardens SW
- Operating Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday
Microchips can be easily scanned by shelters, enabling lost pets to be swiftly and safely returned to their owners, a crucial capability considering that Fourth of July celebrations can sometimes cause pets to behave unexpectedly. The festivities’ noise, particularly fireworks, may lead to pets running away, jumping fences, or even leaping through screens and windows out of fear.
Tips to Keep Pets Calm During Fourth of July Celebrations
In addition to offering free microchipping services, the city has compiled a handy list of tips for pet owners to help their pets stay calm and safe during the firework displays:
- Leave your pets at home and indoors.
- Provide a calm, cool, and well-lit space for your pets with familiar sounds and their favorite chew toys to distract them and make them feel safe.
- Make sure your pets’ identification tags and microchips are up to date, which will expedite the process of reuniting you with your pet in case they do go missing.
- Consult your vet if your pet gets overly stressed during these times. They can provide guidance and possibly medication to help calm your pet down.
Ensuring your pets’ safety and well-being during Fourth of July festivities is of utmost importance. Let’s take advantage of these free microchipping services and heed these tips to make sure our furry friends stay safe and sound during the celebrations.
Source: Albuquerque Journal