Last Updated on July 8, 2023 by Fumipets
Miraculous Survival of Five Dogs After Poisoning Incident in Co Down Park
A Near-Fatal Experience
In a hair-raising incident at Hillsborough Forest Park, Co Down, five dogs, including a revered family pet aged 12 and three diligent search and rescue Labradors, endured a near-death experience after consuming toxic human food left in piles at the park. Miraculously, they have survived the night, owing to immediate and attentive emergency veterinary care.
Among the affected were two beloved family pets; a distinguished 12-year-old Wolfhound Collie mix, and a youthful Springer Spaniel just two years old. Adding to the pack were three hardworking dogs serving the search and rescue teams, helping vulnerable individuals who may have lost their way or suffered an injury.
Shauna Harper, affiliated with the search and rescue organization K9SARNI, shared the horrifying experience. She, along with her companion dog, Koda, and fellow dog trainer, Alicia Huntley, stumbled upon the grim scene during their customary evening walk.
A Terrifying Discovery
Initially mistaken for remnants of a picnic, it soon became evident that the discarded food contained harmful substances for the dogs. Shauna recounted the stressful ordeal, “With five dogs, there was obvious competition, and they were wolfing it down. Koda and Ellie ate the most, and Alicia and I had to pull each dog away to ensure their safety.”
The daunting realization of the toxic food led to a desperate rush to Cromlyn Vets. “We landed at Cromlyn Vets about 40 minutes after the dogs consumed the food, and they took us in as five emergencies,” she explained.
Prompt Veterinary Intervention Saves the Day
At the veterinary clinic, the dogs were administered activated charcoal to induce vomiting, effectively expelling as much of the toxic food as possible from their systems. Thankfully, the veterinarians didn’t find traces of any rat poison or similar substances, but the amount of harmful human food ingested could have led to fatal outcomes if left untreated.
The considerable costs of extended veterinary care posed an issue, but as both Shauna and Alicia are dog professionals, they were allowed to monitor the dogs at home with additional activated charcoal. The survivors are scheduled for blood tests next week to detect and treat any possible damage caused by the incident.
Stay Vigilant, Dog Lovers
This unnerving incident serves as a stark reminder for dog owners and dog lovers visiting Hillsborough Park to remain vigilant about their pet’s activities. It’s essential to monitor what they are consuming during their walks and be wary of suspicious food piles.
“I suspect the food piles were left deliberately, although it’s hard to conceive why anyone would want to attempt to endanger the lives of dogs,” Shauna shared her suspicion, adding a note of caution for fellow dog owners.